Title: Cutting Department Manager
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Department: Manufacturing Production
Cutting Department Managers are responsible for all the functions of their department. They oversee the staff and implement strategies to increase productivity. These managers also conduct training and seminars to motivate and build the skills of their team members.
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the department with a focus on safety, quality, schedule, and cost
- Provide a safe work environment by driving a safety culture with open communication and a proactive approach to identifying issues and potential hazards
- Supervise, evaluate, motivate, and train department employees
- Manage routine preventive maintenance of equipment, in conjunction with the Plant Engineer
- Maintain the skills matrix for all manufacturing personnel and implement a cross training program to ensure optimal efficiency
- Participate in hiring of manufacturing employees and performance review process for department employees
- Perform routine inspection, first article requirements, general quality of product
- Optimize production processes to meet production goals
- Coordinate activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of department employees
- Improve the manufacturing process in collaboration with the Engineering Manager by suggesting improvements for ease of manufacture and/or to improve quality.
- Continually evaluate department needs focused on improvements in machines, tools, setups, fixtures, controls, and mechanisms to obtain better workflow, processing, quality, and cost reductions.
- Maximize competitive advantage through lean practices by driving continuous improvement activities such 5S, housekeeping, cost reduction, process improvements, and corrective actions
- Suggest, develop, and involvement in capital investment of equipment and implementation
- Developing and maintaining storage, location, and levels of tooling inventory
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in laser/turrets.
- Vocational school or apprenticeship preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Understanding of production processes and controls
- Ability to work well under pressure in fast paced environment
- Strong organization and planning skills with ability to multitask
- Ability to work efficiently as well as safely
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with people at all levels
- Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel
- Interviewing, hiring, and training
- Planning, assigning, and directing work
- Appraising performance
- Rewarding and disciplining employees
- Addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods.
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity.
- Good speaking and listening skills.
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail.
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones.
- Ability to interact with others, both in person and through phone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
Key Performance Indicators
- Customer complaints
- Asset utilization (efficiency, productivity, value add)
- Machine downtime
- Lean practices; Kaizen events relating to continuous improvement activities (5S, housekeeping, cost reduction, process improvements, and corrective actions)