Location: Indianapolis, IN
Department: Manufacturing Production
A machinist operates computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools, such as lathes and milling machines, to cut and produce precision parts for machines, instruments, and tools.
To be successful in this role, an individual must be able to perform in a satisfactory manner the functions listed below. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Review samples, drawings, or instructions to understand specifications of output
- Take measurements and mark material for cutting or shaping
- Plan the sequence of necessary actions for the completion of a job
- Select appropriate machines (e.g. lathes) and position or load material for a job
- Monitor machine while working to adjust the feed, maintain temperature and identify issues
- Determine and program size of batches and speed of machine
- Monitor output to ensure consistency with specifications and discard defects
- Perform routine machine maintenance and repair minor damages
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education And/Or Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience.
- Vocational school or apprenticeship preferred
- Mazak & Haas lathes experience required
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Excellent manual dexterity, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to focus on details, handle multiple tasks, and remain highly organized in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (lathes, grinders etc.)
- Ability to use precision tools (e.g. calipers) to take accurate measurements
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and manuals
- Outstanding mathematical skills and analytical abilities
- Knowledge of metal properties and other material
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. We will make reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time and to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Ability to move in and between various facilities and handle exposure to inclement weather.
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity.
- Good speaking and listening skills.
- Ability to perform focused work with close attention to detail.